TECHNICAL ARTICLE case
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING PIPELINE EXPANSION JOINTS?
Pipeline Expansion Joints are considered as very important components of a complete pipe system and are widely used particularly in industries where thermal expansion in pipe systems occur.
As Pipeline Expansion Joints are designed to safely absorb the dimensional changes of steel pipe systems and ducts. This means that the Expansion Joint will absorb these dimensional changes, which could be heat-induced expansion and contraction, vibrations caused by rotating machinery, pressure deformations, and misalignment during installation or building settlements.
Pipeline Expansion Joints also offer the advantage of reducing stresses in pipe systems generated by thermal expansion, and reduce pipe loads at connections to sensitive equipment such as pumps and steam turbines. Taken together this acts to prolong the service life of pipe systems, and reduces the risk of their downtime for additional maintenance and repair.
More advantages of installing Pipeline Expansion Joints:
- Simple in design and function
- Space reduction
- Weight reduction
- Cost reduction
- Reduce engineering and design complexity to piping systems
- Better flexibility for piping layout
- Reliable and proven in the field
- Further, Expansion Joints are more effective than alternatives such as pipe bends and pipe loops due to their greater ability to conserve space, their economic efficiency and better performance in absorbing larger movements.
What are the advantages of each Pipeline Expansion Joint type?
Expansion joints and flexible bellows come in a wide variety of designs and types. Each design/type has its own advantages, which are:
- Simple solution for compensation of temperature fluctuations
- No change in the flow direction
- Compact and space saving solution
- Relatively low cost
- Absorb movements in all lateral directions
- Absorption of large lateral movements with only one Lateral Expansion Joint
- Reduced loads on all fix points as the tie rods absorb the loads without transferring pressure thrust on to the fix points
- Absorb angular movements in single or multi plane
- Use of normal guides
- Reduced loads on all fix points
- Absorb movements in all directions
- Absorption of large axial movements and lateral movements in one Pipeline Expansion Joint
- Can be modified to suit existing installation gap
- Gas-tight and resistant to corrosion and temperature
- Absorb vibrations and oscillations
- Light weight, reducing loads on hangers and pipe supports
- Very low spring rates, and high flexible performance reduces loads on hangers and pipe supports
In the Technical Library Belman has gathered the technical articles we have written to explain and cover many relevant topics related to Expansion Joints. The Technical article selection can be seen here:
In the Videothek Belman has gathered our training videos explaining and covering many relevant topics related to Expansion Joints. The video selection can be seen here:
EXPERT KNOWLEDGE ON EXPANSION JOINTS
As Expansion Joints are special products it is complex to understand the advantgaes they bring to the system as well their limitiations and requirements. With Belman Academy we share our knowledge on Expansion Joints with you. We give you:
- Trainings; Virtual live trainings
- Trainings; Lunch & Learns
- Videothek with training videos
- Technical library with many articles