TECHNICAL ARTICLE case
ALLOY 59 VS. PTFE
In the chemical industry PTFE Expansion Joints and Metallic Expansion Joints coated with PTFE are both widely used. To a large extent however, Expansion Joints made from Alloy 59 represent a far more superior solution, technically as well as financially.
Why choose Alloy 59 over PTFE?
Alloy 59 is a high alloy stainless steel material, with a high mechanical strength and excellent corrosion resistance, which also possesses superior resistance to chloride pitting and stress corrosion cracking. Alloy 59 is widely used in Expansion Joints installed in pipelines where the media is acidic or has complex media composition. As the use of PFTE is restricted in terms of sizes, temperature range, pressure range, flexibility of delivery and generally only available from a limited number of suppliers, Alloy 59 adds significant advantages.
Benefits of selecting Alloy 59 instead of PTFE
- No limitations on size (diameter) and shape
- More resistant to abrasive media
- Allows high level of movements
- Minimizes the need for an external cover
- Alloy 59 is more resistant to acids at elevated pressure and/or temperatures
- Expansion Joints in Alloy 59 can be designed for higher pressure – up to 150 barg (the design and the pressure may require reinforcement rings, but Belman can advise on this)
- Expansion Joints in Alloy 59 can be designed for higher temperatures up to +950°C
- Shorter delivery times
- Less expensive than PTFE and PTFE-coated solutions
Who could benefit from using Alloy 59 Expansion Joints instead of PTFE?
All pipelines where the media is acidic and in industries such as:
- Chemical industry
- Acid plants
- Plants in the mining industry
- And many more
Would you like to know more?
Belman’s Expansion Joint experts are ready to help you:
E: [email protected]
T: +45 7515 5999
GET THE ONE PAGER
Expansion Joints made from ALLOY 59 vs. PTFE
Alloy 59 Expansion Joint
Alloy 59 is good solution for the mining industry and the chemical industry
PTFE-coated Expansion Joint
PTFE Expansion Joint
In the Technical Library Belman has gathered the technical articles we have written to explain and cover many relevant topics related to Expansion Joints. The Technical article selection can be seen here:
In the Videothek Belman has gathered our training videos explaining and covering many relevant topics related to Expansion Joints. The video selection can be seen here:
EXPERT KNOWLEDGE ON EXPANSION JOINTS
As Expansion Joints are special products it is complex to understand the advantgaes they bring to the system as well their limitiations and requirements. With Belman Academy we share our knowledge on Expansion Joints with you. We give you:
- Trainings; Virtual live trainings
- Trainings; Lunch & Learns
- Videothek with training videos
- Technical library with many articles